Questions / Answers


Les sites produits
Hydraulic Drains Systems for the drainage of runoff water for houses and urban areas (french version)
Regulation, infiltration and storage system for stormwater management (french version)

Questions / Answers


Most Frequently Asked Questions about the ENVIRONMENT Speciality

> Connecto® Channels
> Sanitation and underground drainage 


If you have a question and cannot find the answer in the sections below…


>>> Click here to ask your question about Nicoll products







Connecto® channels

For house surroundings.




^ Top


  • Is there a standard and a compulsory marking on channels?

Yes, there is. The reference standard is the NF EN 1433, which defines the scopes and uses of hydraulic channels. The CE marking is compulsory.

  • What kind of channel should I choose for house surroundings?

Several resistance classes exist. For house surroundings, when the area will be used by vehicles (trafficked drives, garage entrances…) you should choose a B125 load class channel. When only pedestrians will traffic the area, A15 load class is enough

  • What channel width should I choose? 

It depends on the area where you live (3 areas are described in the 1977 interdepartmental circular): you can choose a width of 130 or 200 mm according to the superficies of the area you have to drain.

If you have a steep slope (>7%), runoff water can go past the channel. In this case a 200mm channel is advised. 

  • What kind of grating should I choose? 

A wide range enables to meet all aesthetic, economic and technical requirements thanks to a variety of materials (PVC of different colours, galvanised steel, stainless steel, cast iron) and shapes (slotted, mesh, perforated, wave…).


  • To collect the overflowing water of a private swimming-pool, I wanted to install a CAN77 channel with GR77S gratings. Is it the right choice?

Yes the CAN77 grating is a good choice if it is set in the ground and if you add a silicone sealant to make the elements watertight.

No, the GR77 grating is not suitable; it is designed for other uses. For swimming pools, you’d better use a GR77PS grating.



Find out more > Visit the site dedicated to Nicoll hydraulic drains








^ Top


  • In what conditions can I use a trap for underground drainage?

Install them downstream of the waste water system, but not in the black water way.

> The use of a sanitation trap on waste water enables to protect sinks, showers, washbasins, etc., from smells coming up from the public network.

The use of an air admittance valve on this network enables to avoid a roof outlet.

> Having no sanitation trap on the black water system enables to respect the sanitary regulation by providing direct ventilation.

As for the use of sanitation traps, find out about the local regulation


Find out more > Discover our range of traps for underground drainage


  • What kind of shallow access chamber should I have at the end of the drainage network of my house?

Generally speaking, the direct shallow access chamber is the most commonly used in Ø 100 or 125. However, local regulation can require another kind of shallow access chamber, a “siphonic” one, for instance.


Find out more > Discover our range of shallow access chambers